The Port of Weipa has onshore bauxite handling, processing and stockpiling facilities. Its conveyors run to the Lorim Point wharf for shiploading. Other wharves at the Port of Weipa handle different commodities, and additional stockyards exist for the export of live cattle through the port.
Entry into and/or use of the Port of Weipa area is subject to Port Notices. Failure to comply with the Port of Weipa Port Notices is an offence under the Transport Infrastructure Act 1994 (Qld) and penalties apply as outlined in the Port Charges.
More information about the Port of Weipa can be found in the Port of Weipa Port Handbook.
REPORTS & PLANS
NQBP is proud to support its local community in Weipa. Through the Corporate Communities Program, NQBP has demonstrated its commitment by supporting local organisations.
Weipa Fishing Classic
NQBP sponsors the Weipa Fishing Classic which is held on the Queen’s Birthday long weekend annually. NQBP representatives host a BBQ each morning for the boaties setting out for a day of fishing.
At the end of each day, the participants and community gather at the Weipa School grounds to celebrate the successes of the day and generally enjoy a well-supported community event.
NQBP EcoPorts Grant
NQBP has provided a number of EcoPorts grants to schools in our port communities.
Western Cape College – Mapoon Campus was a winner of a $1000 EcoPorts grant.
For more information on this program, visit our Communities page.
Weipa Campus Western Cape College
NQBP provided a $4,000 donation to the college to purchase a portable shade shelter to provide an extra shaded area for the students.
Pictured with the sun shades in the background is John Clark (far right) with the Western Cape College Principal, College Sports Master and P&C representative.
North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation (NQBP) is committed to a sustainable and responsible environmental approach that seeks to, where possible, prevent, and always to reduce and manage its impact on the environment.
WEIPA PORT HISTORY
In 1606, Weipa was the site of the first recorded landing in Australia by European (Dutch) voyagers. Two centuries later, in 1802, navigator Captain Matthew Flinders recorded the red cliffs at Weipa when sailing along the western shore of Cape York. In the twentieth century, Weipa was discovered to be rich in bauxite, the reddish-brown ore that is the source of aluminium. This led to the development of the Port of Weipa.
- In 1955, Australian Geologist Harry Evans discovered the Weipa bauxite ore deposits.
- One year later, the Commonwealth Aluminium Corporation Pty Limited was formed to develop the Weipa bauxite deposits.
- In 1957 Weipa was selected out of three locations as the best site for an export port. Dredging of sand banks near the river mouth was required and before this was completed, trial shipments of bauxite were already leaving the port to Japan.
- The port was operated by the Commonwealth Aluminium Corporation Pty Limited (Comalco) until 1965 when control of the port was passed from the company to the Corporation of the Treasurer of Queensland.