RIGHT TO INFORMATION
Review date 24 April 2012
Services We Offer
1. Our Ports
North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation (NQBP) is the port authority responsible for the seaport facilities at Weipa, Abbot Point, Mackay, Hay Point and Maryborough. In line with its mission, NQBP provides safe, sustainable and competitive seaport services to efficiently facilitate the increasing tonnages of imports and exports through its Queensland ports.
As a GOC, NQBP operates according to commercial principles, raises its own revenue and makes the dividend and tax equivalent payments to the Queensland Government.
As a port authority, NQBP is responsible for:
- strategic port planning
- port business development
- port infrastructure development
- environmental management and marine pollution (within port limits)
- port security and safety
- port efficiency
- maintaining navigable port depths for shipping
- issuing licences, leases and permits to other organisations for use of port land, infrastructure, and facilities (NQBP has a multi-user access policy in place at its ports to facilitate highest possible utilisation of port infrastructure, and greatest possible operational efficiency).
Port pilotage operations and navigation are the responsibility of NQBP for the Ports of Hay Point and Mackay. The Port of Townsville provides pilotage services for the Port of Abbot Point and Ports North is responsible for pilotage services at Weipa. Stevedoring and towage services are outsourced to approved contractors at all of NQBP’s ports.